Bachelor’s thesis is a subject which is included in the syllabus of every bachelor’s degree. In case of bachelor’s degree in Architectural Technology and Building Construction, bachelor’s thesis (BT) has 15 ECTS, it has to be done in the last academic year and it comprises work that every student (or a group of students) carries out under the supervision of a director or two co-directors. This work allows students to show their acquired knowledge and competences associated with the bachelor’s degree in an integrated way.
Regulation on Bachelor’s Thesis (approved by the Board of School on 23/12/2010).
- In order to enrol in the bachelor thesis it is necessary to present its proposal previously and you can do this if you have already passed 180 credits.
- To present the bachelor’s thesis, all the subjects of the previous academic years must be passed and the fourth’s course subjects must be taken or passed.
Dates and requirements for presenting the bachelor’s thesis can be found at this link.
Director and co-directors of the bachelor’s thesis
Every bachelor’s thesis is directed by a director or two co-directors. The director or one of the co-directors must be a teacher who belongs to a teaching department of the same degree.
An external teacher may be proposed as a co-director, in which case a member of the UdL teaching staff must perform as a director.
A proposal of the bachelor’s thesis may be carried out in the following ways:
- A student’s proposal.
- A department’s proposal.
- Proposals carried out within the framework of the convention of cooperation between university and enterprise.
- Projects carried out within the framework of the mobility offered at UdL.
A proposal must be approved by the director (or the co-director) and the coordinator of the degree.
The enrolment allows a student to apply to reading his/her bachelor’s thesis in a call during the academic year.
Enrolment may be processed during two periods along the academic year:
- At the beginning of the first quarter.
- At the beginning of the second quarter.
You can consult on particular enrolment dates at this link.
Assessment of the bachelor’s thesis
The bachelor’s thesis will be assessed following continuous assessment methodology. The final mark will be based on the marks of the following four items:
- Initial report (10%) which shows assimilation of the aims and context of the BT to carry out. It is assessed by the director.
- Follow-up report (10%) which presents evolution of the BT and decisions made. It is assessed by the director.
- Final document of the BT (50%). It is assessed by the director.
- Presentation and defense of the BT in front of an examination committee (30%). The student will present his/her project and defend it publically answering committee’s questions.
Corresponding marks of different items will be collected by the director through Continuous Assessment Portfolio of the BT, available at this link.
It is composed of three members of whom at least one member must belong to a teaching staff at the Higher Polytechnic School, and at least two of them must be university teachers or researchers. The director or one of the co-directors will take part in the committee.
The degree coordinator will appoint the members of the committee. This appointment will be proposed by the director who personally fills out proposal document.
Delivery and defense of the BT
The Bachelor’s thesis must be delivered at least 5 working days prior to the presentation date following the instructions given in this link.
The defense of the BT can be carried out between 1st October and 15th September during the academic year in which the work was registered.
Every year the College of Quantity Surveyors, Technical Architects and Building Engineers of Lleida (CAATEELL) and Higher Polytechnic School give award to the best bachelor’s thesis of the bachelor’s degree in Architectural Technology and Building Construction. For more information you can consult this link.